One of northern Oswego County's historic landmarks – the Sage House – was destroyed by fire on June 14, 1975. At the time it was known as the Carriage House and was built in 1854 when the Watertown & Rome Railroad was built. It was also a stagecoach stop. The fire was caused by a deep fryer in the kitchen. The hotel was erected by Chauncey Sage, who settled on a small far outside the village in 1850. He also had a store and blacksmith shop there.