On the site of the fire house on Main Street in Central Square once stood a hotel called the Fancher House, built in 1826. Like all local hotels, it frequently changed ownership and management over the years. The last owner was H.P. Goettel who remodeled it into eight apartments, called the "Beehive." In 1926 it was sold to Standard Oil Co. and it was demolished to make way for a new gas station. Route 11 in those days was nothing but a muddy trail much of the time before the days of improved paved highways.